Identity theft is considered a serious crime with severe consequences, and if you or a loved one find yourselves facing these charges, it's essential to have an experienced criminal defense attorney by your side. Our Gwinnett County identity theft lawyer can help safeguard your future. When your reputation, freedom, and financial stability are on the line, you can trust Crawford and Boyle, LLC, to provide you with the skilled legal representation you need.
Call Crawford and Boyle, LLC today at (678) 726-5400 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our identity theft lawyer in Gwinnett County.
What is Identity Theft?
Identity theft occurs when an individual unlawfully obtains and uses another person's personal information for fraudulent purposes. This stolen information can include but is not limited to, Social Security numbers, credit card details, bank account information, and other sensitive data. Perpetrators of identity theft use this information to commit various financial crimes, such as making unauthorized purchases, opening lines of credit, or falsifying official documents, all under the victim's name.
What Are the Penalties for Identity Theft in Georgia?
In Georgia, identity theft is classified as a felony offense, and the penalties can be harsh and life-altering. The severity of the penalties you may face depends on the circumstances of the crime, but they can include:
- Criminal Charges: Conviction for identity theft can result in a felony charge on your criminal record, which can have lasting implications for your future.
- Imprisonment: A person found guilty of identity theft may face imprisonment ranging from one to ten years, depending on the specifics of the case.
- Fines: In addition to incarceration, the court may impose substantial fines, further affecting your financial stability.
- Restitution: Courts may also order convicted individuals to pay restitution to the victims to cover financial losses resulting from the identity theft.
- Probation: Probation is another potential consequence, which comes with its own set of conditions and restrictions that must be adhered to, limiting your freedom.
- Criminal Record: A conviction for identity theft can have long-term implications for your personal and professional life, as it will be reflected in your criminal record.
Defenses Against Identity Theft Charges
Some common defenses against identity theft charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: Establishing that you did not have the intent to commit identity theft is a possible defense strategy.
- Mistaken Identity: Proving that you were wrongly identified as the perpetrator and that there is insufficient evidence linking you to the crime.
- Consent: Establishing that the alleged victim willingly provided their personal information or consented to its use, which can be a valid defense in certain situations.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: Challenging the legality of how evidence was obtained, as evidence obtained through illegal means may not be admissible in court.
- Alibi: Providing an alibi to show that you were not in the vicinity or involved in the alleged identity theft.
Contact Our Identity Theft Lawyer in Gwinnett County Today
At Crawford and Boyle, LLC, our Gwinnett County identity theft attorney will stand by your side throughout the legal process, ensuring your rights are protected and exploring every available avenue for your defense. We'll work tirelessly to secure the most favorable outcome for your case, whether that means reduced charges, a dismissal, or an acquittal. Protect your future, your reputation, and your freedom by contacting us today.
Contact Crawford and Boyle, LLC today to get started with our Gwinnett County identity theft attorney.
""I AM SO THANKFUL!!!""Literally Saved my life!!!
""VERY KIND AND PLEASANT""Anonymous
""PROFESSIONAL, HARDWORKING, AND VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE""Margaret
- DISMISSAL Abuse or Neglect of a Disabled Person
- REDUCED Aggravated Assault
- DISMISSED Aggravated Assault
- REDUCED Burglary
- DISMISSED Criminal Damage to Property
- DISMISSED Disorderly Conduct and Criminal Trespass
Unrivaled Trial Experience
Over 50 Combined Years of Legal Experience
Genuine & Honest Legal Guidance
Results Driven Representation
Use of Technology to Bring You More Convenience
Available for Calls 24/7