Passionately Protecting Your Best Interest
  • AV Rated
  • DDLA
  • NTL Top 100
  • NTL 40 Under 40
  • AVVO 10.0
  • AVVO 10.0
  • NCDD

Gwinnett County Divorce Contempt Attorneys

What is Contempt of Court?

When a divorce is finalized, the judge signs a decree of divorce which sets forth the obligations of the parties. If the parties entered into a settlement agreement, it is incorporated into and becomes a part of the divorce decree. Contempt of court is a ruling by the judge that a person is intentionally failing to follow a judge’s order. If you are cited with contempt you may be punished by a fine or a jail sentence until he or 
she obeys the court order. If you or your ex are facing contempt charges, let Crawford and Boyle, LLC, help you build a case for your interests.

Dial (678) 726-5400 now or contact our firm online to schedule a consultation. We also serve clients throughout Walton and Clark counties. 

How to File Contempt of Court in Georgia?

Generally, a party may seek enforcement of a divorce decree by filing a Motion for Contempt most commonly, Motions for Contempt are filed in relation to:

  • Non-payment of child support
  • Failure to pay medical bills, credit card bills, or other debts
  • Failure to maintain health or life insurance
  • Violations of visitation provisions
  • Failure to turn over property

It’s advisable to send the offending party a certified letter demanding compliance with the divorce decree by a certain date. This is especially useful in cases involving the failure to pay child support, medical bills and other debts, and the failure to maintain health or life insurance.

Crawford and Boyle, LLC Divorce Contempt Legal Counsel

If the offending party does not cure the violation, the next step is to file a Motion for Contempt. The motion must set forth the specific provisions of the divorce decree which have been violated as well as the acts or omissions which constitute the violation.

Motions should set forth the total amount due on obligations, including:

  • Child support
  • Medical bills
  • Credit card bills
  • Other debts

The Motion for Contempt must be served on the offending party. In most jurisdictions, personal service is required; serving the attorney for the offending party is not acceptable. After the offending party has been served, the matter will be set for hearing.

If a party is found to be in violation of the divorce decree, courts have the authority to place the offending party in jail until the contempt of court has been cured. Courts may also order the offending party to pay the attorney’s fees and courts costs incurred by the petitioner in filing the contempt action.

Our firm collects a nominal fee for divorce and child custody consultations. Get help with your case. Dial (678) 726-5400 now.

  • Mr. Fitz went over and beyond for me.

    Popo C.
  • No better outcome would have been achieved working with any other firm.

    Jasir M.
  • ""I AM SO THANKFUL!!!""
    Literally Saved my life!!!
We Look Forward to Helping You

Bring your divorce matter to us. We'll listen to your story and help you navigate toward a better, more secure tomorrow.

Why Crawford and Boyle, LLC?
  • Unrivaled Trial Experience
  • Over 50 Combined Years of Legal Experience
  • Genuine & Honest Legal Guidance
  • Results Driven Representation
  • Use of Technology to Bring You More Convenience
  • Available for Calls 24/7
We'll Walk Every Step With You

Get In Touch With Us Today

Complete our form below or call us at (678) 726-5400.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.