Embezzlement charges can be a serious legal matter, and if you or someone you know is facing such allegations, it's crucial to have the right legal representation on your side. At Crawford and Boyle, LLC, our Gwinnett County embezzlement attorneys are ready to defend your rights and provide skilled guidance during these challenging times.
Call Crawford and Boyle, LLC today at (678) 726-5400 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our embezzlement lawyer in Gwinnett County.
What is Embezzlement?
Embezzlement is a white-collar crime that involves the misappropriation or theft of funds or property entrusted to an individual's care. In simple terms, it occurs when a person, typically an employee or someone in a position of trust, diverts money or property for their personal use without the owner's consent. Embezzlement often occurs within businesses, organizations, or non-profit entities, and it can take various forms, such as:
- Funds Misappropriation: This involves unlawfully diverting money from a company's accounts, such as skimming cash or forging checks.
- Property Theft: Embezzlement isn't limited to cash. It can also involve stealing physical assets or property belonging to an organization.
- Expense Manipulation: Altering expenses or inflating invoices to siphon money is another common form of embezzlement.
- Diverting Assets: Transferring an entity's assets to a personal account or another third party without consent is another way embezzlement can occur.
What are the Penalties for Embezzlement in Georgia?
Penalties for embezzlement in Georgia vary depending on the value of the embezzled property or funds and other circumstances surrounding the case. In the state of Georgia, embezzlement is considered a serious crime, and the consequences can be severe. Here's a general overview of the penalties for embezzlement:
- Value Less Than $500: If the embezzled property or funds are valued at less than $500, it is considered a misdemeanor. Penalties may include fines of up to $1,000 and a maximum of 12 months in jail.
- Value Exceeding $500: If the embezzled property or funds are valued at more than $500, it is considered a felony. Penalties may include fines of up to $5,000 and a maximum of 5 years in jail.
Defenses Against Embezzlement Charges
Some common defenses against embezzlement charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: Embezzlement cases hinge on the prosecution's ability to prove intent. If there was no intent to embezzle, the charges may not hold up in court.
- Mistaken Identity: It's possible that you were wrongfully identified as the perpetrator, and we can present evidence to support your innocence.
- Consent: If you had the owner's consent to use the property or funds, it may not constitute embezzlement.
- Duress: If you were coerced or threatened into executing embezzlement, we can build a defense based on duress.
- Insufficient Evidence: A lack of sufficient evidence can be a strong defense, and we can work to challenge the prosecution's case.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If evidence was obtained through an illegal search or seizure, it may be inadmissible in court.
Contact Our Embezzlement Attorney in Gwinnett County Today
At Crawford and Boyle, LLC, our Gwinnett County embezzlement lawyer will listen to your case, provide skilled legal advice, and work diligently to secure the best possible outcome for your situation. Your future is our priority, and we're here to help you every step of the way.
Contact Crawford and Boyle, LLC today to get started with our Gwinnett County embezzlement lawyer.
""I AM SO THANKFUL!!!""Literally Saved my life!!!
""VERY KIND AND PLEASANT""Anonymous
""PROFESSIONAL, HARDWORKING, AND VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE""Margaret
- DISMISSAL Abuse or Neglect of a Disabled Person
- REDUCED Aggravated Assault
- DISMISSED Aggravated Assault
- REDUCED Burglary
- DISMISSED Criminal Damage to Property
- DISMISSED Disorderly Conduct and Criminal Trespass
Unrivaled Trial Experience
Over 50 Combined Years of Legal Experience
Genuine & Honest Legal Guidance
Results Driven Representation
Use of Technology to Bring You More Convenience
Available for Calls 24/7